Presessional English for Academic Purposes 1 (PEAP 1)
Presessional English for Academic Purposes 1 (PEAP 1) is the first level of a 40-week course (PEAP 1-4). It is designed for lower level students (IELTS 4.0 or 4.5) who need a longer time to prepare.
For Foundation students it will be the first module of a 30-week course (PEAP 1-3).
What you will learn
Over the course of the 10 weeks, the main aims of level 1 are to:
- develop and improve your English language and analytical skills
- provide an introduction to academic study that will be continued in PEAP 2-4
- introduce a critical and reflective approach to study
- introduce the skills of working collaboratively with others
- provide you with support and guidance
What you will do
You will be asked to do a series of tasks:
- Research and write a project
- Read a selection of fiction and non-fiction texts
- Write academic paragraphs, book reports and emails
- Reflect on progress and design a study plan
- Participate in one-to-one and group discussions
- Present information in a poster to an audience
How you will be assessed
At the end of PEAP 1 you will be assessed to see if you are ready to move on to PEAP 2. You will:
- research and write a project in collaboration with other students
- give an oral presentation in collaboration with other students
- participate in an individual interview with a tutor
At the end of PEAP 1, successful students will move on to PEAP 2.