The Faculty of Engineering has excellent links with industry. You will receive support from supervisors and specific training related to your area of research, as well as dedicated advice from the Graduate School and our Careers and Employability Service.
Completing a research degree with us will ensure that you develop transferable skills that will be beneficial in a number of different careers. Graduates within the faculty have gone on to have successful careers as:
- production managers and directors
- IT and telecommunication professionals
- business, research and administrative professionals
- science, engineering and production technicians
- natural and social science professionals
- teachers, lecturers and educators
- various other roles in engineering and architecture
Our graduates have gone on to work for:
- BAE Systems
- GE Aviation
- Goldmann Sachs
- Malvern Instruments
- Shell Nigeria Exploration Company
- Unilever Ghana
- ARC Energy
- Escola Superior Gallaecia
- Sokoto Energy Research Centre
- Thermacore Europ
- Many other employers
Average starting salary and employment rate
In 2017, 94.2% of postgraduates in the faculty who were available for employment had secured work or further study within six months of graduation. The average starting salary was £29,000 with the highest being £100,000.*
* Known destinations of full-time home higher degree postgraduates, 2016/17. Salaries are calculated based on the median of those in full-time paid employment within the UK.
Average starting salary and career progression
96.8% of postgraduates from the Faculty of Engineering who were available for employment secured work or further study within six months of graduation. £29,000 was the average starting salary, with the highest being £100,000.*
* Known destinations of full-time home postgraduates 2016/17. Salaries are calculated based on the median of those in full-time paid employment within the UK.
Careers support and advice
Whether you are considering a career within or outside academia, we’re here to support you every step of the way.
You can access our Careers and Employability Service during your studies and after you graduate.
Expert staff will work with you to explore PhD career options and apply for vacancies, develop your interview skills and meet employers. You can book a one-to-one appointment, take an online course or attend a workshop.