An image of two students walking next to each other outside with text reading health centre registration

Health centre registration 

Your health is important and you never know when you might need medical advice. We recommend making time during your first week at Nottingham to register with a local GP surgery so that you have access to a doctor.

You can register with a surgery of your own choice, but if you're moving to Nottingham for longer than six months, we recommend registering with one of the services outlined below. These recommendations are based on your term-time address.

Before you can register with a local surgery:

  • you will need your term-time address and postcode - If you are living in university halls you can find this on the hall contact web page 
  • your term-time address will need to be in the catchment area for the surgery for you to be eligible - each surgery has their own catchment area tool on their website (linked below) 

If your university address is in Nottingham city (which includes our University Park and Jubilee campuses), you will be able to register with the University of Nottingham Health Service (UNHS). 

Register with the UNHS 

If your university address is in Sutton Bonington or Kegworth, you will be able to register with the Village Health Group – Sutton Bonington.

The Orchard Surgery in Kegworth is temporarily unable to take on anymore patients, please visit the Orchard Surgery's website for updates.

Register with the Village Health Group - Sutton Bonington 

If your address is in Derby city or not in the Nottingham city or Sutton Bonington/Kegworth catchment areas, you will be able to register with a local doctor. 

Find a local doctor 


Home students

You may also be eligible for a number of different vaccinations – including meningitis, ACWY, MMR and HPV, which are highly recommended for new students who haven't had these before. 



International students

All students entering the UK from overseas should register with a doctor in the UK. Although it’s only a precautionary measure (and not currently mandatory), registering will ensure that everyone entering the country is given the correct medical care and health checks.

You will be offered vaccinations when you come to study at the University of Nottingham and register at the UNHS. The vaccinations offered are ones that are recommended for students entering the university. To find out more about the recommended vaccinations, or to view this information in another language, read this document (pdf). 

If you are coming to the UK for more than six months, you will need your certificate to prove you don’t currently have infection tuberculosis (TB) before your visa application can be considered. 

For more information on the National Health Service (NHS), visit our UK health services page.



Find out about other health and wellbeing services at the university:

Health and wellbeing 




University Park

Visit our contact us page to find the most relevant contact details for your query