Contemporary Developments in HRM/OB
The module examines core contemporary topics in OB/HRM to highlight theory and provide you with a business context within which to understand the topic.
Topics include challenges organisations face in creating and retaining knowledge, developing talent across all the major functions, managing multi-cultural teams at the domestic and international context, the impact of the global economy on employees, reconciling individual expectations and the exigencies of the business world, and employment law.
The module focuses on the broad aspects of employment regulation, relating to all elements that circumscribe unilateral decision-making power of management with regard to employment matters. Topics cover include modes of workforce voice and participation, conflict, equality and diversity, and the role of the state and the law.
International Human Resource Management
This module aims to provide you with a critical understanding of the context, strategies, issues and key debates of International Human Resource Management (IHRM). Areas covered include:
- Globalisation and HRM
- HRM in multinational companies
- HRM in emerging economies
Leadership and Management Development
The module will include the following topics:
- The meaning, nature and evolution of the field of leadership in an organisational, social, environmental and multicultural context
- Critical issues in leadership and management development, including how leaders are selected, development tools that are available, and issues of evaluation
- Leadership skills for building teams and securing involvement and participation - working collaboratively, ethically and effectively to support a partnership approach to leadership and management development
- Leadership and strategic change - the key roles that leaders play in creating visions and strategies, and the implementation of leadership and management strategies to meet current and future organisational demands
- Leadership and sustainable strategic management
- Leading change - how leaders influence and persuade others and the key challenges that organisations and individual managers face
You will be provided with concepts, theories and illustrations which will help you a become effective manager in a rapidly changing world. To enable this the following issues will be considered:
- Organisational design: in particular the alignment of strategy, structure and environment
- The management of organisational processes: organisational culture; organisational change; decision making; power, conflict and control; knowledge management
- The relation between organisational design, management and organisational performance
Organisational Development and Change
This module will explore theories and concepts related to the areas of organisational development, work and systems design and organisational change.
For example, you will be encouraged to reflect on how theories concerned with organistional structure and relationships, organisational culture, performance measurement, technology in the workplace and organisational change can be applied in practice. In doing so, they will explore how to be an effective leader, implementer and recipient of change.
Part I: Introduction Qualitative Analysis - This part of the module will be concerned with the collection and analysis of qualitative data.
Part II: Introduction Quantitative Analysis - Survey design and measurement, Introduction to statistics; hypothesis testing, t-tests, ANOVA, Regression Analysis and Factor Analysis.
Strategic Human Resource Management
The module aims to develop an advanced understanding of human resource management. Core elements of the course include recruitment and selection, training, performance management, job design, work-life balance and health and safety.
The modules we offer are inspired by the research interests of our staff and as a result may change for reasons of, for example, research developments or legislation changes. This list is an example of typical modules we offer, not a definitive list.