What you need to know
Important update – regulations on Extenuating Circumstances have changed for 2023/24. Make sure you read these before you consider applying:
First sits (a reassessment opportunity that you take as if it’s for the first time):
- If a first is granted as an EC outcome, your initial submission will not be marked or marks voided even if you completed the first assessment.
- If first sits are not completed, a mark of zero will be recorded.
- If you are seeking a first sit for coursework, it is likely a long extension will be offered rather than a first sit.
- If you receive one of these outcomes, there is no opportunity to change your mind.
For more details, see What is a First Sit?
- Up to five working days could be claimed with no supporting evidence (some exclusions do apply so check on Moodle first).
- Check the flowchart for more info EC student information page.
- You will need to provide an acceptable reason in order to be eligible for a no evidence extension.
If the circumstance is not acceptable, your claim may be rejected. See ‘What are acceptable circumstances for an EC claim’ for more details.