Our annual Volunteer Awards, which began in 2016, celebrate volunteers from across the University of Nottingham campuses in the UK, China and Malaysia.
The awards recognise people who have made outstanding contributions to the university and its community, showing exceptional dedication, creativity, innovation or leadership.
Congratulations to our 2022 winners!
A big thank you to everyone who has nominated a volunteer for recognition this year, we received numerous deserving entries. After much deliberation, we're delighted to reveal the two main award winners this year, as well as the longstanding volunteers we are recognising.
Alumni Volunteer of the Year: Tobi Ruth Adebekun (French and International Media with Communications, 2014)
Volunteer roles: Ask a Graduate Ambassador, Attainment Gap Advisor, Career Mentor, Languages alumni speaker, BAME speaker.
Nominated by: Wayne Crawford - Volunteer and Advocacy Manager and Suzanne McGregor - Faculty Careers and Employability Consultant.
"Tobi is a French and IMC graduate from 2014 who has given her time to an extraordinary array of student experience, employability and highly strategic EDI projects at the university since early 2017.
"She shows a demonstrable commitment to EDI, something she has also done outside of her university volunteering as an Advisory Board member for BME PR Pros.
"I heartily recommend Tobi Ruth as she is a fantastic, positive and inspiring graduate who has a great attitude towards supporting current UoN students and being extremely generous with her time."
Tobi Ruth Adebekun (French and International Media with Communications, 2014)
"Like many students out there, I went to university with no idea what I wanted to do. Despite that uncertainty, I took a lot away from my time at the university both professionally and personally, so I am always more than happy to give back.
"There is no one route into a career and there are new businesses being founded every single day - countless opportunities if they remain open, flexible and curious about the world. I hope my career journey helps them to see that.
"Finally, I have benefitted from the most amazing mentors and coaches in every job I’ve had and know how vital that support has been to my progression and success. As a Black woman working in predominantly white (and often male) spaces, it’s very important to me to be visible and approachable to young Black women so I can support them as they take the first steps in their career."
Stuart Kasakende (English, 2019), Amelia Bauer (English, 2015), Wendy Furness (MBA, 2017), Erin Connelly (Medieval English, 2008), Ifigenia Constaninou (Psychology, 2021), School of Biosciences alumni
Community Volunteer of the Year: Marko Voẞ - HealthScout App Creator and Developer
Volunteer role: HealthScout app creator and developer
Nominated by: Joanne Stocks - Senior Research Fellow
"In March 2020 university colleagues wanted to commission the development of an app to monitor health changes during the pandemic. Unfortunately, all research fund spending was blocked. An international hackathon met in April 2020, creating solutions to problems arising due to Covid-19. I joined as a research scientist and Marko, a German developer, was assigned to help with my request to develop a study app.
"Marko worked free for over 18 months, for a foreign university he had no previous connection with. We now have an invaluable resource for future research studies and collaborations which would not have been possible without Marko’s tireless work."
Paul Burkill (Summer Placement Host), John Birkill (Manager for Phoenix Aspirational Learning)
Longstanding Volunteer recognition:
This award recognises individuals who have shown sustained and substantial commitment to the university for a period of at least four years. In 2022 we're delighted to share this award with the following volunteers:
Abigail Seager • Adebowale Dairo AKA Hakeem • Alastair Perry • Amanda Ferguson • Amanda Riddle • Amanda Howard-Sneyd (Horton Mastin) • Amy Prosser • Anastasia Makeeva • Andrew McNaughton • Anju Okhandiar • Carl Mundy • Carmen B Swanwick-Roa • Charles Pollard • Choong Hiong D Lee • Christopher Yim • Ciara Deall • Corinne Leighton • Craig Coulson • Dale Gilbert • David Clarke • Donna Omovbude • Eleri Davies • Elizabeth Tallett Wavle • Fernando De Barros Smye Frances O'Donnell • Giles Woodhouse • Gordon Lindsay • Graham Kill • Ian Sadler • Imran Rahman-Jones • James Hewlett • Jennifer Evans • Jerome Fielder • Jing Tang • Jingyi Fu • Jo McPhail • Jonathan Hughes • Karen Schrader • Karrish Devan • Keith Bound • Keith Spriggs • Kiri Madhani • Marianna Laviola • Martin Cooper • Martin Wolf • Matthew Lawson • Michael Harriott • Mohamed Hameed Sadurdeen AKA Ismail • Paul Kitchen • Peter Johnstone • Philip Pickard • Robert Clift • Roy Chambers • Rupert Hough • Sameen Barabhuiya • Samuel Uziel Rivero Prado • Sara Holland • Siaka Suma • Stephanie Dizon • Sudipta Mohanty • Thomas Lansdowne • Tim Calderhead • Ursula Edgington
Our in-person awards ceremony is taking place during National Volunteers Week on Tuesday 7 June when we'll present the winners with their awards and celebrate with our volunteer community. We can't wait!
Meet our previous winners:
Alumni Volunteer of the Year: Michael Olatokun (Law, 2014)
Exceptional Contribution Award: Yinka Adegbenle (Industiral Economics, 2001)
Longstanding Volunteer Award:
- Michael Olatokun (Law, 2014)
- Aparajita (Ivy) Roy (Economic Development and Policy, 2016)
- Alison Isherwood (Chemical Engineering, 1997)
- Shash Patel (Mathematics with Engineering, 1983)
Individual Community Volunteer of the Year: Paul Corcoran
Group Community Volunteer of the Year: PROTECT-CH Trial, Val Leyland and Maureen Godfrey
Volunteer Co-ordinator of the Yeear (Careers and Employability): Alex Owusu
Volunteer Co-ordinator of the Year (Engineering): Vince Pizzoni
Alumni volunteer of the Year: Emily Seto (Clinical Microbiology, 2016)
University of Nottingham Volunteers of the Year: Martin Austin and Steven Hadfield
Community Volunteers of the Year Group Award: The Music and Memories Choir
Community Volunteer of the Year: Valentine Nkoyo
Special Recognition Award: Emily Smith
Longstanding Volunteer Awards:
- Yasmin Ali (Chemical Engineering, 2010)
- Ed Tarlton (Psychology, 2011)
- Aymun Khan (Mechanical Engineering, 2019)
- Jenny Ireland
- Jan Perrett MBE
- Jo Horsey
- Friends for Impact
- David Waldram
Volunteer Co-ordinator of the Year: Martha Jones
University of Nottingham Volunteer of the Year: Natalie Hayden-Yeung (Law, 2012)
Alumni Volunteer of the Year: Hugh Jaques (Chemistry, 2000)
Exceptional Contribution Award: Lisa Johnson
Community Volunteer of the Year: John Charles-Jones
Longstanding Volunteer Award:
UK Alumni Volunteer of the Year: Dr Amy Prosser – Careers Volunteer
International Alumni Volunteer of the Year: Jingyi Fu
University of Nottingham Volunteer of the Year, Community Volunteer of the Year and Longstanding Volunteer: Emeritus Professor David Brailsford – School of Computer Science Volunteer and founder of Computerphile
Exceptional Contribution Award: Paul Barrett and Steve Wright – Lifecycle Superheroes
Longstanding Volunteer Award:
- Kate Hodgett and Maureen Godfrey – Patient Participation in Research Volunteers (Dementia)
- Shirley Priest, Jim Priest, Louise Clarke, Dr Alaa Alrawaibah – Lakeside Museum Volunteers
- Andy Boston – Guest Speaker (School of Mathematics)
- Christine Humfrey and Keith Redfern – Cascade Panel Volunteers
- Colin Jones, Janet Jones, David Henson, David Pinney, Janet Kemp, Mary Chivers, Pam Brown – Friends of University Park
- Daniel Slater – Founder of Futsal Society
- David Pearson – Summer School Volunteer
- Candy Wright, Dominic Chan, Aster Lee, Albert Poon, Natalie Chiu, Lavinia Wong, Vincent Wong – Friends of the University of Nottingham: Hong Kong
- Peter Hubberstey – Judge, Salters Festival (School of Chemistry)
- Roger Lewis – Former Alumni Laureate Chair and Orator
- Professor Julian Wiseman – Old Kingstonian Association (OKA) Treasurer and Volunteer
University of Nottingham Volunteer of the Year: Jo Horsey, Medical School Admissions Committee
Alumni Volunteer of the Year: Mark Bullock, Mentor and Sports volunteer
Staff Volunteer of the Year: Drew Shearsmith, Information Services
Community Volunteer of the Year: Pam and Mike White, CBTRC
Longstanding Volunteer Awards:
- Mal Davies, Sutton Bonington RFC
- Alison Robinson, School of Veterinary Medicine
- Jim Gamble, Thunder and Lightning Lecture Series, School of Chemistry, May Fest
- Mark Bullock, Disability Sports and Mentoring
- Group Nomination, Manuscripts and Special Collections - Sheila Leeds, Peter Reddish, Anne Reddish, Pauline Chettle, Jim Chettle
- David Pinney, Family Link
- Ann and Brian Peters, Family Link
- Lesley Parkinson, Family Link
- Pat Smith, Family Link
- Sumeet Shah, Family Link
- Ossie Newell, Stroke Rehabilitation
- Malcolm Jones, Manuscripts and Special Collections
- Jo Horsey, Medical Schools Admissions Committee
- Mark Bullock, Mentor and Sports volunteer
- Tim Smith, Careers and Employability Services
- Dr Chanikul Chutrakul, International Office (Thailand)
- Benjamin Ma, International Office (Malaysia)
- Hien Chi Nguyen, International Office (Vietnam)