Follow your passion for research
Join the School of Mathematical Sciences for the chance to work on projects in both fundamental and applied mathematical sciences that have an impact in the modern world. Projects cover the areas of:
- Pure mathematics
- Applied mathematics
- Mathematical physics
- Statistics and probability
- Mathematical education & scholarship.
Why choose Nottingham for your PhD?
We're looking for passionate research students to help us shape the future of mathematical sciences and make a difference to the world around us.
Our research projects range from proposing new mathematical structures and uncovering new fundamental physics, to using mathematical sciences to produce sustainable materials, enhance future healthcare, and develop artificial intelligence.
Work is organised around exciting research themes, some of which focus on more traditional areas and others target emerging and multi-disciplinary problems:
- algebra, arithmetic, and their geometries
- computational statistics and machine learning
- data-driven modelling and computation
- epidemic modelling
- fluid mechanics
- geometry and symmetry
- mathematical neuroscience
- multiscale modelling and heterogeneous media
- numerical and applied analysis
- quantum information and metrology
- quantum mathematics
- real, complex and functional analysis
- symbolic computational mathematics
- teaching and learning in mathematics higher education
- wave modelling
Find out more about our research:
Research Excellence Framework 2021
- 97% of our research outputs are rated as 'world-leading' or 'internationally excellent'
- The school was placed in the top 3 for quality of research environment across all mathematical sciences units in the UK
- 100% of the impact from the school is rated as either ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
This is highlighted in our commitment to attracting bright minds and inspiring academics to conduct mathematical research throughout the department.
Find out how our mathematical research is revolutionising the global testing of future drug use
Discover how chaos theory and electromagnetic wave modelling are being used to help roll out the next digital revolution
Be part of this pioneering research to help transform lives and solve global challenges. Apply for one of our research fellowships and become one of the next research leaders. By conducting advanced mathematical research, you too could inspire future generations with your knowledge and expertise. Join us.