Students from the UK and EU countries should apply for either Science with Foundation Year CFG0 (BSc) or CGF0 (MSci)
Highlights of foundation science at Nottingham
- Have a guaranteed place on an undergraduate degree if you meet all the requirements
- Be part of the University’s student community from day one, studying on the same beautiful campus and have access to all the student facilities
- Join a course with a high progression record of over 80%
- Gain key laboratory skills and experience fieldwork, preparing you for your future course
- Continue your academic career at a university that is ranked in the top 1% of universities globally, according to QS World University Rankings 2018
This certificate has been designed for talented international applicants who are not eligible for direct entry to an undergraduate course.
Taught on the main University campus by academics who contribute to science teaching in different schools, we ensure the foundation course is integrated into your degree programme. The topics you cover are matched to subsequent stages of your course. For this reason, the success rate for students progressing from this pathway is very high.
All candidates are considered on an individual basis and we accept a broad range of qualifications. The entrance requirements below apply to 2020 entry.
|UK entry requirements
Five GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade 5 (B) or above, including maths plus biology and chemistry or science (double) or science and additional science or core and applied science plus English language, at grade 4 (C) or above.
Additional requirements apply for progression on to specific science degrees.
Applicants with qualifications that would permit direct entry to a science degree will only be considered if they meet certain criteria. See the entry requirements section below for full details.
BBB. Students must not have studied the subjects or have the grades needed to allow direct entry to a degree programme.
Five GCSEs at 5 (B) or above, including maths, biology and chemistry (or double science; core and applied science; science and additional science). Plus English language 4 (C) or above.
Additional GCSE requirements
GCSE requirements vary for progression on to specific science degrees taught at Nottingham:
- Medical physiology and therapeutics requires 5 (B) in English language
- Pharmacy requires 5 (B) in English language or literature
- Pharmaceutical sciences require 5 (B) in mathematics
Students with other qualifications including BTEC and Access courses will be considered on an individual basis.
English language requirements
IELTS* 5.5 (with no less than 5.0 in any element)
For details of other English language tests and qualifications we accept, please see our entry requirements page.
* International students who need a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK must have an UKVI approved IELTS/Secure English Language Test (SELT), from the new SELT list to make a visa application.
If you require additional support to take your language skills to the required level, you may be able to attend a presessional course at the Centre for English Language Education, which is accredited by the British Council for the teaching of English in the UK.
Students who successfully complete the presessional course to the required level can progress onto their chosen degree course without retaking IELTS or equivalent.
Flexible admissions policy
In recognition of our applicants’ varied experience and educational pathways, the University of Nottingham employs a flexible admissions policy. We may make some applicants an offer lower than advertised, depending on their personal and educational circumstances. Please see the University’s admissions policies and procedures for more information.
We accept a range of international qualifications - please contact us for details.
Learning and assessment
How you will learn
How you will be assessed