School of Education
Centre for English Language Education

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a topic below to see questions:

Choosing a course and the cost

How do I know which course is right for me?
This depends on the entry requirements of your degree course and your existing English language skills. To find out more, see 'which Pressional English for Academic Purposes (PEAP) course is right for you?'.
How much does a PEAP course cost?
This varies per course, see current fee information.

Applying for a course

Can I study at CELE without a degree offer?
No, in order to comply with UKVI requirements, all presessional students must be able to show evidence of an offer of further study in the UK.
What is the application deadline?
This varies per course, see course details.
How do I apply?
For a step by step guide, see how to apply.

English language requirements

I've have a target of 6.5 and am going on to a MSc business course.
On the joint offer page, it says I need 6.0 (minimum 5.5) to take a 10-week PEAP course.
On the course length page, it says I need 6.0 (minimum 5.0).
Which is correct?
You need a 6.0 (minimum 5.5) for a joint CAS. If you haven't got 5.5 in every element, you will need to get a single CAS for the PEAP course and extend your visa at the end of your course.
The target on my academic offer letter is not listed on the PEAP course length page. Can I still attend a PEAP course?
Yes, if you have a different target IELTS, please contact us. We will let you know what course length you need.

Visa requirements 

Will I need a visa?

You do not need a visa if you choose to study an online PEAP course.

If you choose to study a face-to-face course in Nottingham, you may need a visa. Depending on your status, you may be able to apply for a:

  • Student Visa 
  • Short-Term Study Visa
  • Dependants' Visa

For more details see visa information.


Living in Nottingham 

Where will I live while I am studying the course?
You can apply for university accommodation through the Accommodation Office.

Paying course fees 

How do I pay my fees?

You can pay your fees online. You will need to show evidence of your ability to fund your studies in order to apply for your visa.

If you require any help, contact international student recruitment.

If I withdraw or interrupt my studies, will I get a refund on fees?

For 10 and 6 week presessional courses, there are no refunds for the course after you have registered. Contact CELE for more information. 

Please see our refund of fees regulations for full information.


Other costs

What else do I need to pay for?

All learning materials are free and you will also have access to free online learning activities. 

If you are staying in Nottingham, you may be able to take part in leisure activities on campus. Some may be free, but others may incur a cost.

You will need to need to budget for your accommodation and living costs.





How do I register to start my course?

Registration details will be confirmed to you nearer the start date of your course. You will have one working week from the start date of your course to complete all registration requirements.


Teaching days

What days will I attend lessons?

Teaching will take place on Monday to Friday for the duration of your chosen course with the exception of public and university holidays when the university is closed.

There will also be study days during each PEAP term where you will be expected to study independently and these will be confirmed to you in advance.


Progression to degree course

Can I progress directly to my chosen university course when I have passed my CELE course?

If you are successful in meeting the required marks in your final assessments, you will pass your CELE course and you can usually progress directly to your degree course without retaking your IELTS or equivalent.  

Please contact us for details of courses that have additional entry requirements.


Further information or support 

If I need further information or support, who can I speak to?

International student recruitment can help with many different queries you might have about fees, visas, accommodation, arrival in the UK and more. They are here for you before you arrive and will support you throughout your studies.

You can also contact us at CELE with any queries about your course, and we will be happy to help.



Centre for English Language Education

Presessional enquiries
Academic Language and Communication Skills enquiries

School of Education
Dearing Building
Jubilee Campus, Wollaton Road
Nottingham NG8 1BB