Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
Scanning Electron Microscopy Imaging and Analysis
Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) is an imaging technique capable of visualising sample structures on the micro- and nano-scale. It uses an electron beam to scan a sample, and the process generates a range of secondary sample irradiance. This can then be analysed to visualise sample surfaces with high depth of field and lateral resolutions of upwards of 1-20nm, as well as providing physical and chemical state information about the sample.
The nmRC is home to 8 SEMs and an Electron Microprobe and can therefore offer a diverse range of SEM analytical variants and approaches. Some of the most prominent being:
- Focussed Ion Beam (FIB) SEM uses a focused ion beam for materials processing and sample preparation (deposition, ablation, sectioning etc.) or at low beam currents imaging in its own right.
- Environmental SEM (ESEM) allows for the imaging of poorly conductive ‘uncoated’, or ‘wet’ samples that cannot be imaged in the high vacuum conditions of a traditional SEM.
- Cryo-SEM allows for samples to be rapidly frozen, manipulated and then imaged. This enables preservation of the initial substrate morphology and chemistry of a fully hydrated or liquid specimen.
- Field Emission Gun (FEG) SEM generates a smaller diameter more powerful electron beam to enable nanostructural imaging an characterisation.
- Secondary Electron Imaging
- Backscattered Electron Imaging
- Environmental SEM (ESEM)
- Field Emission Gun (FEG) SEM
- Focussed Ion Beam (FIB) SEM
- Cryogenic (CRYO) SEM
- Energy Dispersive X-Ray Spectroscopy (EDS/EDX)
- Wavelength Dispersive X-Ray Spectroscopy (WDS/WDX)
- Mineral Liberation Analysis (MLA)
- Electron Backscatter Diffraction (EBSD)
- 'In-situ' stress / strain and heating analysis
nmRC SEM Instrumentation
JEOL 7100F FEG-SEM
FEI Quanta200 3D DualBeam FIB/SEM
FEI Quanta 650 ESEM
FEI Quanta 600 Mineral Liberation Analyser (MLA)
JEOL JXA-8200 Electron Microprobe
Philips (FEI) XL30 SEM
JEOL 6400 SEM
JEOL 6060LV SEM
JEOL 6490LV SEM
For technical specifications click here