Services for Students

Examination adjustments


Adjustments for examination arrangements.


 Exam adjustments

Deadlines for requests to be received by the Exams Office

The deadline for the Autumn Semester Exams has now passed

The deadline for the Spring Semester Exams is Thursday 2 March 2023

The deadline for the August resit period is Friday 14 July 2023


Long term exam adjustments

As part of its commitment to equality of opportunity, the University believes that assessment methods should, as well as being appropriate to the academic objectives of the course, minimise the impact of a student's disability on performance in assessment. This means that some students may require adjustments to examination arrangements.

The University Guidelines set out the arrangements for organising the effective assessment of students who have a disability or long-term medical condition, including details of the procedure to follow to apply for adjustments to be made. The Overview, Policy and determination of adjustments to examination arrangements can be found in the Quality Manual.

Please see the Disability Support Services website for deadlines to arrange an appointment to see Academic Support or Disability Support for adjustments to exam arrangements.

Procedure for students

Students should contact Disability Support Services and provide evidence before the published deadlines.

It will not normally be possible to make adjustments for a forthcoming examination period if this deadline is not met: 

  • All requests for adjustments to examination arrangements should be supported by current acceptable evidence of a disability or long term medical condition such as written report from a registered medical practitioner, an educational psychologist or a psychiatrist.
  • Students whose requests are successful will see information about the arrangements via the 'My Course' section on the Portal approximately 4 weeks after the above deadlines.
  • Once adjustments to examination arrangements have been made these will be maintained for you throughout your current program of study.  If you return to the University to study a new program (e.g. Postgraduate Masters) you will need to contact Academic Support so your arrangements can be transferred to your new course.  An appointment at Academic Support is needed even if you have had adjustments to examination arrangements at a previous institution.
  • Where a student is dissatisfied with the adjustments to examination arrangements determined for them, they should first contact
    Disability Support Services to discuss this with their Academic Support Tutor or
    Disability Adviser.

I have a disability/a long-term medical condition/a Specific Learning Difference such as dyslexia, dyspraxia or AD(H)D – how do I get exam adjustments?

You will need to be assessed by Disability Support Services. Please follow this link to make an appointment. There are deadlines by which you need to have been assessed in order to have adjustments in place for the next round of examinations. The deadlines are:

  • Deadlines for alternative examination arrangements
    Exam periodDeadline for providing evidence via MyNottinghamDrop in sessions to arrange exam adjustments
    January 2023 Deadlne has now passed

    Contact Disability Support Services for details of drop-in sessoins  

    May 2023

    2 March 2023

    Contact Disabilty Support Services for details of drop-in sessions 

    August 2023 14 July 2023

    Contact Disability Support Services for details of drop-in sessions.

    Details of short appointments to be confirmed.

If you have not been assessed by these deadlines you will not have alternative arrangements in place for your examinations.

You should raise a University of Nottingham Extenuating Circumstances claim via the Student Enquiry Centre.

Information about extenuating circumstances can be found here.

Information on how your adjustments are applied to online timed assessments can be found here.


Department/School request form for short term exam arrangements - Closed




Student Services

University Park

Please see our need help page for telephone and online contact points