• Print

Private sector

There are many options for students wishing to live in the private sector from independent student villages to shared houses. Whether you are a new student wishing to move into a privately-rented house or a second or third year student looking for private accommodation options, there are plenty of student houses around the campuses.

From 1 February 2016 private landlords in England will have to check that all adults living in their properties have the right to live in the UK - the "right to rent".  

You should expect your landlord to ask to see your passport or other documentation which evidences your immigration status if you are entering into a new rental agreement after February 1st 2016.  For example a British citizen could provide a passport or driving licence and birth certificate.  An international student may be required to provide their visa or other residence card.  For more detailed information please visit

Students do not need to prove their right to rent if they are residing in University halls of residence or purpose built accommodation solely created for students.

Use the tabs on the left or below to find advice on house-hunting and details about student residential areas near the University.



Portland Building
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 3697