This is the place where extraordinary careers start.
We believe that great minds don't think alike. Here you get the space, support, skills and connections that mean you'll be highly sought after by top employers. Get ready to shape the real world in your chosen career.
We open doors that set you on the right path, thanks to our:
- Exceptional reputation with employers – the University of Nottingham is ranked 2nd in the UK for top employers in the High Fliers Graduate Report 2023. We’re also in in the UK top 10 and global top 70 in the QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2022.
- Excellent graduate outcomes - 91% of graduates from the Faculty of Engineering are in highly skilled work, further higher education or professional study within 15 months of graduation (HESA Graduate Outcomes Survey 2019-20).
- Courses which are designed to prepare you for the world of work - all our courses have been designed to ensure that graduates are work-ready. We teach practical skills as well as just technical skills and knowledge.
- High focus on employability – we publicise over 1,600 internships, placements or graduate job adverts related to engineering on average each year.
- Impressive access to companies - we have links with over 1,400 engineering employers locally, nationally and internationally. Our research excellence also means we have relationships with many different types of companies across diverse business sectors.
- Specialist careers and placement teams – who offer unlimited one to one appointments and expert real-world advice.
- Global alumni network – graduates automatically become part of a community of over 320,000 Nottingham graduates, with opportunities to continue to learn and grow long after graduation.
We've got the keys to unlock to your dream job.
A diverse range of job opportunities
The sky’s the limit for engineering and architecture graduates.
Our Faculty of Engineering graduates go on to secure jobs in a range of companies including: Rolls Royce, Atkins, AECOM, ARUP, Mott McDonald, PWC, Siemens, WSP, EPR Architects, Jaguar Land Rover and many more.
Graduates also work in a range of different sectors including: Advanced Manufacturing, Architecture, Food & Drink, Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG), Aerospace, Automotive, Infrastructure, Renewable Energy, Technology Consulting and multidisciplinary global engineering consultancies.
"The employability and placements teams were great for helping me find a graduate placement, answering all my questions and getting me job-ready for after my studies."
Abdulquadri Ademakinwa, Architecture and Environmental Design MArch
We’re passionate about your future
Whether you know what you want to do in the future or not, the Careers team will support you every step of the way with personalised advice. We'll help you discover a world of possibilities.
We also have a range of events and schemes to support you to be highly employable, including:
- Engineer Your Future programme – each year a high-profile keynote speaker (previously this has included the Technical Director from McLaren F1) launches this programme. Engineer Your Future features a series of on-line resources and in person workshops that provide students with the opportunity to develop ‘work-ready’ skills including leadership, teamwork, project management, advanced Excel and emotional intelligence.
- Lunch with the Leader - an opportunity for students to sit down, as part of a small group, with a leader from industry and ask them questions about their career and advice for progressing to senior roles.
- Inspiring Women in Engineering – groups of our female students are mentored by alumni to develop and host an engineering outreach activity (for Year 10 girls from local schools).
- Where are they now? - these are annual events hosted by each department within the Faculty of Engineering for students to hear about the career journeys of alumni from their courses.