Welcome to Hallward Library - supporting the Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Social Sciences and housing an European Documentation Centre.
New look library spaces
There may be some disruption in the library over the summer as we work on redecorating some of the spaces and change the layout and furniture. We will share any major disruption on this page.
Library staff are available to help with any questions about using our library services. Get in touch via phone, email or Live Chat.
Covid-19 safety measures
- Wear a face covering at all times, including when using study space (unless exempt).
- Face coverings should be well-fitting and cover the nose and mouth.
- Study spaces are for individual, silent use only. Do not move furniture or gather in groups.
- Keep two metres distance from others around the library (even with those in your household or bubble).
- Do not eat; drinks can be consumed but please replace your face covering as soon as possible.
- Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly - and wipe down surfaces before and after use.
- Follow directional signage in the library, including one-way routes.
- Do not visit the library if you have symptoms of coronavirus.
Hallward Library opening hours (from Saturday 19 June)
|Monday - Friday
||8.30am - 8.30pm
||9am - 8.30pm
||9.30am - 8.30pm
Last short stay entry to the library is 30 minutes before the advertised library closing time. Study space bookings will finish 15 minutes before the library closing time. Please leave the library promptly following one-way signage.
What's available in the library?
Facilities and study space
Please use the 24/7 book box outside the library to return books.
The following services are available in the library:
Short stay drop-in visit (30 minutes)
Get Library Ready
Books and locations
Hallward Library is home to subject resources for the faculties of Arts and Social Sciences and a.
You can search our collections using the library discovery tool, NUsearch.
Not sure where to start? Take a look at our subject guides to discover the key resources for your subject area including books, journals, databases and more.
Discover our collections
You will need your University Card for access to the library.
Hallward Library has:
- door access via level front door
- four floors, lift available
- accessible unisex WC's
- low level service point
- parking for blue badge holders in front of Library
- Deaf Alerter system installed
- Hearing Loop situated at reception desk, exit desk and lending desk
Access plans showing emergency exits and refuges:
Back to the top