Welcome to Hallward Library - supporting the Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Social Sciences and housing an European Documentation Centre.
Contact the Library Helpline via phone, email or Live Chat.
Hallward Library Cafe is currently closed at weekends until further notice. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Please check the cafe opening times webpage for alternatives and updates.
- Bring your University Card or Library Card for access.
- Book study space in advance online or use any available drop-in space
- Please continue to wear face coverings in busy places and give people space.
- Wash your hands regularly and clean surfaces before and after use.
- Please do not eat hot food in the library.
- If you have Covid symptoms, please do not come on to campus. Visit Safety on Campus for the latest guidance.
Extended opening hours from 18 October
| Day|| Hours|
|Monday - Thursday
||8am - 2am
||8am - 9.45pm
||9am - 9.45pm
||9.30am - 2am
Last entry to the library is 15 minutes before the advertised library closing time. Library closing procedures are announced by tannoy.
The library is a large building to clear and close, and some areas and equipment will be unavailable earlier than the closing time.
Back to the top
What's available in the library?
Facilities and study space
- Book returns box - outside the entrance
- Click and Collect - request items on NUsearch for collection from the library's reservations shelf
- Enquiries desk - staff are available to help with any queries
- NUsearch PC - search the library catalogue
- Print, copy and scan - print from any university PC or use mobile print
- Self-service machines - borrow and return books
- Short stay PC - available for use for up to 15 minutes at a time
- Study space - including individual, silent, accessible and group study space
- Water fountains
- Wellbeing notice board - useful information about university support services
See Access information for details of lifts, accessible toilets and more,
- Hallward Library Cafe
- Portland Building
- Starbucks pop-up (Monica Partridge building)
Drinks and cold food can be brought into our libraries. Hot food is not allowed in our libraries.
Cafe locations and opening times
Drop-in study spaces are available throughout the library.
You can also book spaces up to seven days in advance with Click and Study:
- Study space - individual space with or without PC access
- Silent study space - individual space in a silent area
- Study room (for 1 person) - with PC access
- Calm space - height adjustable desks suitable for students who prefer a less distracting study environment
- Group study room (for 4 or 14 people) - large screen, PC and power
All study spaces are drop-in online after 9pm.
Books and locations
Hallward Library is home to subject resources for the faculties of Arts and Social Sciences and an European Documentation Centre.
Not sure where to start? Take a look at our subject guides to discover the key resources for your subject area including books, journals, databases and more.
How to find books and periodicals
Our libraries use the Library of Congress classification system.
You can find the classmark for your item on the library discover tool, NUsearch.
Discover our collections
You will need your University Card or Library Card for access to the library. Visitor access
- Door access via level front door
- The library has four floors, a lift is available
- Accessible unisex WC's
- Low level service point
- Parking for blue badge holders is available in front of the library
- Deaf Alerter system installed
- Hearing Loop situated at reception desk, exit desk and enquiries desk
Access plans showing emergency exits and refuges:
Back to the top
Help and support
Contact Library staff
- Library staff (wearing blue lanyards) will be happy to answer any questions about our libraries.
- Email Hallward Library at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For general library queries, please contact the Library Helpline by email, phone or live chat.
If you are finding it difficult to study because of noise disruption, please let Library staff know.
You can also text us - look out for the number displayed on posters nearby.
Health and wellbeing
A Healthy U wellbeing notice board is available in the library. This includes information about support services at the university.
Report and supportGuide to wellbeing support at the university (PDF)
Back to the top