Welcome to Hallward Library - supporting the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Social Sciences.
Opening times | Visiting | What's available? | Books | Access | Help
News and updates
- From Monday 9 January to Friday 31 March, a section of the A52 will be closed due to important gas works.
- 21 December 2022
- Due to an ongoing issue there may be limited access to toilets at Hallward Library.
- 30 November 2022
- Our new microwaves are available and ready to use in the Hallward Library café area.
- 28 November 2022
Contact the Library Helpline via phone, email or Live Chat. Library status
Last entry to the library is 15 minutes before the advertised library closing time. Library closing procedures are announced by tannoy.
The library is a large building to clear and close, and some areas and equipment will be unavailable earlier than the closing time.
Term time opening hours
|Day||Library and help desk|
|Monday - Friday
||8am - 9.45pm
||9am - 9.45pm
||9.30am - 9.45pm
Back to the top
Visiting the library
- Bring your University Card or Library Card for entrance. What if I forget my card?
- Hot food should be eaten in the cafe area of the library only.
- Please don't leave your belongings unattended, keep them with you at all times.
- Visit Safety on Campus for the latest advice on staying safe and well.
Back to the top
What's available in the library?
Facilities and study space
- Book returns box - outside the entrance available 24/7
- Click and Collect - request items on NUsearch for collection from the library's reservations shelf
- Enquiries desk - staff are available to help with any queries
- Laptop loans - for up to three hours use within the library
- Microwaves - located in the cafe area on level 2
- NUsearch PC - search the library catalogue
- Print, copy and scan - print from any university PC or use mobile print
- Self-service machines - borrow and return books, pay fines using a credit/debit card
- Short stay PC - available for use for up to 15 minutes at a time
- Study space - including individual, silent, accessible and group study space
- Water fountains
- Wellbeing notice board - useful information about university support services
See Access information for details of lifts, accessible toilets and more.
The nearest Prayer rooms can be found in the Portland Building. Visit the Chaplaincy website for more information.
- Hallward Library Cafe
- Portland Building
- Starbucks pop-up (Monica Partridge building)
Drinks and cold food can be brought into our libraries. Hot food is not allowed in our libraries.
Cafe locations and opening times
Drop-in study spaces are available throughout the library.
You can also book spaces up to seven days in advance with Click and Study:
- Study space - individual space with or without PC access
- Silent study space - individual space in a silent area
- Study room (for 1 person) - with PC access
- Calm space - height adjustable desks suitable for students who prefer a less distracting study environment
- Group study room (for 4 or 14 people) - large screen, PC and power
- Height adjustable desks
All study spaces are drop-in online after 9pm.
Enhanced Library Support spaces
Students eligible for Enhanced Library Support can book dedicated study spaces in Hallward Library:
- Enhanced Library Support rooms
- Assistive Technology rooms
Booking Enhanced Library Support spaces
Books and locations
Hallward Library is home to subject resources for the faculties of Arts and Social Sciences.
Not sure where to start? Take a look at our subject guides to discover the key resources for your subject area including books, journals, databases and more.
How to find books and periodicals
Our libraries use the Library of Congress classification system.
You can find the classmark for your item on the library discover tool, NUsearch.
Discover our collections
You will need your University Card or Library Card for access to the library. Visitor access
- Door access via level front door
- The library has four floors, a lift is available
- Accessible unisex WC's
- Low level service point
- Parking for blue badge holders is available in front of the library
- Deaf Alerter system installed
- Hearing Loop situated at reception desk, exit desk and enquiries desk
Access plans showing emergency exits and refuges:
Back to the top
Help and support
Contact Library staff
- Library staff (wearing blue lanyards) will be happy to answer any questions about our libraries.
- Email Hallward Library at email@example.com
- For general library queries, please contact the Library Helpline by email, phone or live chat.
If you are finding it difficult to study because of noise disruption, please let Library staff know.
You can also contact the library on WhatsApp at 07766 993543.
Health and wellbeing
A Healthy U wellbeing notice board is available in the library. This includes information about support services at the university.
Report and supportGuide to wellbeing support at the university (PDF)
Back to the top