Information for Students

If, following assessment or discussion with your Academic Support Tutor or Disability Support Adviser, Academic Support Work has been agreed... 

What happens next?

Your Academic Support Tutor or Disability Support Adviser will make a request to the Support Worker Service who will allocate Academic Support Workers.  Although we aim to allocate within 3 weeks, this is not always possible.  However, we will do it as quickly as we can.

You will receive an introductory e-mail from your allocated Academic Support Worker(s).  Please make sure you answer this promptly so that your support workers can begin working with you.

Please note that you must not ask your support worker to do any additional work for you without the express permission of your Academic Support Tutor or Disability Support Adviser.



Support Work - what do you need to do?

For Note-Taking Support Work you should provide an electronic copy of your timetable to the Support Worker Service as soon as you can.  If this is not possible, please let the Support Worker Service know.

  • Respond promptly to contact/e-mails from your Academic Support Worker.
  • It is your responsibility to let the support worker and the Support Worker Service know promptly of any timetable changes or cancellations.
  • Once a month, each support worker will ask you to sign a timesheet.  It is very important that you do this within 5 working days.  Failure to sign timesheets two months running will result in a review of your support.
  • Notify the Support Worker Service as soon as possible if you do not receive your notes within the arranged timescale.
  • Give the Academic Support Worker feedback on the notes so that they can be produced in the most appropriate way for you.
  • Notify the Support Worker Service immediately if you have any concerns about your support work.


Academic Support Work - what can you expect?

Information on Academic Support Work roles, student responsibilities when working with an Academic Support Worker, as well as details of what they can and cannot do, can be viewed at: Support Worker Service - Roles and Responsibilities.



How can you access the Support Worker Service?

Disabled students interested in accessing this service, should contact Accessibility to make an appointment with their Academic Support Tutor or Disability Support Adviser.  Once requirements have been agreed the Tutor/Adviser will pass the details to the Support Worker Service.

Support Worker Service
Accessibility (Academic and Disability Support)
University of Nottingham
Service Development Office, E106 Portland Building
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD


Telephone: +44 (0) 115 84 67314