Supported Fitness Sessions
The perfect way to get into to the fitness suite!
If you want to get active by using our fitness suites, then the supported fitness sessions might be just the thing for you.
These sessions are for disabled students, staff and those with mental health conditions. They can be booked through the Inclusive Fitness Instructor.
What are supported fitness sessions?
As a UoN student, staff or alumni member with a disability, including mental health condition/s, you can access supported fitness inductions and sessions at our fitness suites in the David Ross Sports Village and Jubilee Sports Centre.
If you have a UoN sports and fitness membership, then there is no additional charge for these sessions. The initiative includes:
- a discussion with our Inclusive Fitness Instructor to understand how we can provide support for you in our facilities;
- One to one induction session/s with a Fitness Instructor to show you around the fitness suites.
- A number of sessions to develop your fitness programme.
- An agreed number of weekly 1-2-1 sessions with a Fitness Instructor.
- Ongoing support and review of your programme to help you stay on track.
We hope that working with the same instructor every time you will be able to work towards achieving your goals and start to feel at home in our fitness centres.
How does the programme work?
To access the supported fitness sessions you will need to take the following steps:
- Contact our Inclusive Fitness Instructor via email to express an interest in the sessions or to complete the enquiry form.
- the enquiry form will need to be filled out, whereby Lydia Sharpe (Inclusive Fitness Instructor) will pick this up and get in contact with you regarding arranging a discussion on how we can provide support for you in our facilities.
- The Inclusive Fitness Instructor will meet up with you, discuss the next steps, go through an induction of the facility and complete a consultation form with you.
- The Inclusive Fitness Instructor will introduce you to the Fitness Instructor who will be delivering your 1-2-1 supported sessions and delivery of your fitness programme and ongoing support.
- The Inclusive Fitness Instructor will be in regular contact with you to see how the sessions are going. If for any reason you are note happy with the sessions, you can feedback to them or the Disability Sport Officer.
What do our members say?
Since engaging with the supported fitness sessions I have noticed a huge gain in confidence. I am accessing different things I wouldn’t do on my own because I wouldn’t know how to.
It’s really good that some fitness instructors are really aware of how different types of bodies work e.g. hyper extension, muscular or bone weakness etc. When a fitness instructor already knows about this or isn’t surprised by it, this can be a real encouragement for someone.
I would definitely recommend this initiative to other students and disabled members!
Visually impaired student
I decided to access these sessions, as due to my history with unhealthy exercise it really appealed to me that I could work with someone in a safe and supportive environment. It was also important for me to work with someone who would understand my needs and the goals I'm trying to meet.
As a result, I feel a lot more comfortable in the gym environment, know how to exercise safely and have improved my level of fitness. It has also been a good way of reducing stress and boosting my mood. I would definitely recommend this initiative as I have found it an extremely helpful, enjoyable, and a rewarding experience!
Student with mental health condition
The unifying capacity of health, fitness, and being involved because of it has great significance for me.
That’s why I’m in the gym with a body that doesn’t work properly. If it wasn’t for the way the sports staff engage with me, I probably wouldn’t be there at all.
The help I’ve received, even the bonds I have with the people who work in the department, have had a hugely positive impact on my life, and I’m grateful for that.
Student with physical disability