Intramural Sports Leagues
Our intramural sports league programme (IMS) will resume in the 2021 Spring term in-line with all relevant government guidance and restrictions.
University of Nottingham Sport run one of the largest intramural sports programmes (IMS) in the country with over 3,000 students taking part every year.
With several sports to choose from and all based right here on campus, IMS is an ideal way to stay active, meet new people and try something new.
You can compete for your University hall, course team, e.g. Maths Soc, for a society, e.g. Tamil Soc or as a group of friends. There's a huge range of sports available on a weekly basis and it's a great way to play right here on campus with your friends. No previous experience is needed!
Each year our top IMS teams will compete against the best teams from Loughborough University's intramural sport programme during the IMS Varsity event.
IMS Varsity takes place annually in May with the venues alternating between Nottingham and Loughborough.
Where can I buy official IMS kit?
With official partner Red Oak Roller we offer a range of official IMS kit for either your hall or society team.
The range includes T-shirts, shorts, skorts and socks.
To view and purchase, click here.
What sports are available?
Our Societies and Social sport programme offers all the sports below and you can sign up for more than one sport or league.
- Badminton (mixed)
- Basketball (mixed)
- Football (Men's 11-a-side)
- Football (Men's 7-a-side)
- Football (Women's 7-a-side)
- Futsal (Men's)
- Hockey (mixed)
- Rugby Union (Men's)
- Squash (mixed)
- Table tennis (mixed)
- Tennis (mixed)
- Volleyball (mixed)
When can I play?
We offer team leagues on set days and weekly individual leagues. You or your team will be allocated matches each week within the time slot given by your league organiser.
*UoN sport and fitness membership is required for badminton, squash and table tennis weekly leagues.
How can I enter / join a team?
IMS teams can be made up of any group; hall teams, society teams, course teams or a group of friends.
- If you have a whole team together already, sign up for the 2020/21 IMS season via the IMS app (download Apple or Android).
- To join a society or course team, contact your society or course rep to find out what's available.
- To find out more about your hall teams, complete our interest form and our team will be in touch.
- If you're an individual looking for a team, please contact the IMS Officer for your sport.
- New teams from September 2020 - please contact the IMS Officer for your sport to enquire re; availability.
- Click here to register for IMS 2021/22
Individual leagues :
We offer weekly leagues for several racket sports as well as one day competitions for individuals and teams in a variety of sports. These are open to all University of Nottingham students; it doesn't matter if you haven't played in IMS before.
- You can enter a weekly league via the IMS app.
How to use the IMS app:
- If you haven't already, download the IMS app on either Apple or Android and register your details.
- Please note, if you are experiencing issues with the app, you can also access the login via desktop.
- Join the relevant community for the sport you'd like to enter, e.g. Netball 2020/21.
- Select the 'Sign ups' box, select 'League' and scroll down to the league you'd like to enter. Leagues are listed above.
- Click 'Enter team' and 'Create new team' as this will be a new team for 2020/21. Enter the team name, team captain and select 'Sign up'.
- Finally, double check your entry is registered by clicking on your chosen league and 'Signed up'.
- Please note, NO payment will be required until the start of the 2020/21 season.
- The prices below cover the whole team for all fixtures during the season.
IMS entry prices
| Sport|| Entry fee|
|Women's Football (7-a-side)
Who is my IMS Officer contact?
Each of our sports are run by a member of our IMS Exec who are all student volunteers. If your query isn't answered above, please contact the below.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I find out about free buses to the Riverside sports complex?
We offer free buses to our Riverside sports complex for IMS players. Buses leave at 1.15pm from the below locations:
- Starbucks - Jubilee Campus
- West Entrance mini round about (inside campus)
- Derby Hall
Please note, all passengers must follow the important guidance below when travelling on these buses:
- Passengers will be issued with a wristband for their bus - you must return on the same bus after your fixtures.
- Face masks must be worn at all times when travelling.
- Passengers must ensure social distancing is maintained at all times when waiting at the assigned bus stops and when travelling on buses.
Do I need UoN sport and fitness membership to take part in IMS?
If you are playing in one of our badminton, sqush or table tennis leagues then UoN sport and fitness membership is required. You can purchase your membership here.
If you are playing in any of our other IMS leagues, UoN sport and fitness membership is NOT required.
What happens if there's wet weather?
Check the IMS app the morning of your fixtures - all cancellations will be notified in the app news feed.
Are there paid opportunities for referees and umpires?
Yes! There are lots of opportunities to referee or umpire within our programmes and we offer competitive rates of pay. To register your interest, please contact the IMS Officer for your sport, listed here