UNIversal Gym Membership
University of Nottingham is pleased to partner with British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) on the UNIversal Gym scheme.
This programme allows our student and staff UoN sports and fitness members to access fitness facilities at several different university venues across the UK, completely free-of-charge. Ideal for during the university holidays when you return home or even visiting a friend, it's the perfect way to keep up your routine even when you're out of town.
We're also welcoming UNIversal Gym members from other institutions taking part in the scheme to our fitness venues.
How to set up your BUCS UNIversal Gym Membership
- Download the BUCS Play app (Apple version - Android version).
- Login if you already have an account or register as a new user.
- Head to the More section and click on 'My Communities'. Search and select your University (e.g University of Nottingham Sport).
- Click on BUCS UNIversal Gym button and select 'Join Community'. Our team will then review your application and approve your UNIversal Gym access.
- You can also view a 'How to' video here.
University of Nottingham students and staff
- All students and staff at the University of Nottingham who have a full UoN sports and fitness membership are eligible for a UNIversal Gym membership. This includes One Semester memberships. For 2021/22 Top Up memberships must be purchased to be eligible.
- UNIversal Gym members may then visit any of the participating institutions to use their fitness facilities. Please check with each institution before you visit for any access restrictions.
Visitors to the University of Nottingham
UNIversal Gym Card holders from other participating institutions may access the below at any time during our opening hours:
- David Ross Sports Village fitness suite
- Jubilee sports centre fitness suite
- Sutton Bonington sports centre fitness suite
- Access to any facility other than the above is not permitted
- Access to facilities may be subject to change dependent on capacity.
Please ensure you have pre-booked your session via the BUCS Playwaze app and show your QR code to our reception team to gain entry. You can also view a 'How to book' video here.
Please note, UNIversal Gym membership from Nottingham Trent University may not be used at the University of Nottingham and vice versa. This is due to the close proximity of the two institutions and potential capacity issues.
Please check our frequently asked questions below and if your query isn't answered, please contact our Membership Officer (UoN staff and students) or email BUCS directly (students and staff from other institutions).
Do I have to get my gym membership from my university of study/work?
Yes. The UNIversal Gym membership is only available to you if your membership is with your university of study or work.
When is the membership valid until and is this only valid out of term-time?
The 2021-22 membership is valid until 31 August 2022, regardless of which university you are at or when you activate your UNIversal Gym membership. The scheme runs on academic year and not 12 months from the date of collection.
All students who have an active membership until 30 June will be able to access other UNIversal facilities until 31 August.
You can use other universities' facilities during term-time and during the holiday periods.
Please note, if you opt to cancel your UoN student or staff sport and fitness membership, your BUCS UNIversal gym membership will also be cancelled.
Where do I go to find out which facilities I can access?
All universities that are part of the UNIversal Gym Membership can be found here.
At a minimum, all universities are offering access to their gym facilities, some may be offering more. It is your responsibility to check what is available before visiting another university and any pre-booking requirements.
Why do some universities exclude students / staff from another university accessing their facilities?
This will occur in situations when two universities are in close proximity or in the same city. This restriction is required in order to manage the number of users accessing facilities and potential capacity issues.
University of Nottingham students and staff who hold UNIversal Gym membership will not be able to access facilities at Nottingham Trent University and Nottingham Trent students and staff will not be able to access facilities at the University of Nottingham.
What can UNIversal Gym members access at the University of Nottingham?