Services for Students

Updates to name and/or address

Updates to name and/or address

The University might need to get in touch with you about your studies. To ensure messages reach you quickly please can you check your personal details are correct and up to date.  


What you need to know

If you wish to correct or change your name on your official student record as currently recorded on NottinghamHub, please contact, attaching a completed correct or name change form and a scanned copy of your ID documents.

Further guidance on updating your personal information can be accessed from the NottinghamHub FAQs here.

Following this, you need to visit a Student Service Centre for your ID documents to be checked. You can find your nearest Student Service Centre here.

If you are in the UK with immigration permission, as part of any requested name change, you will be advised to seek support and advice from the University's Visa and Immigration team. This is so that you can be fully informed about immigration implications before making an decision to request a name change on your student record.

Trans and gender non-conforming students can request amendments to their student records via Student Services, without the requirement for evidence.  You can find further detail on this in the guidance for students section of our EDI webpages, specifically section 6 of the guidance document.

Once the request is approved by the Registrar, Student Services will change your primary name on your student record. This then pushes through a change on other university systems (e.g. MS Teams, Outlook).  Once the primary name is updated, you can request a replacement university card free of charge.  Your updated name will then appear on all documentation and communications from the University.


Student Services

University Park

Please see our need help page for telephone and online contact points