During and after your studies you may be required to obtain official documents from the University of Nottingham.

Please click on the relevant heading below for further information and to request a document.



What you need to know

I need a letter to prove I'm a student at the University of Nottingham

For current students only (applicants or graduates are not eligible to order this document).  Returning students please ensure you have completed online registration for the next academic year.  Online registration for returning students

When you have fully registered or re-registered for the new academic year you will be issued with a notification via email confirming that you have fully registered.  This notification will be in a similar format to the student status letter and may be sufficient to formally confirm that you are a student at the University. 

If you require a Council Tax Exemption Certificate, please see the 'I need a letter so I don't have to pay Council Tax' section below. 

If you are requesting a letter to travel abroad or for visa purposes, and require it to be addressed to an embassy, please see the 'I want to travel overseas and I need to get a visa' section below for more information. 

If you need a letter for any other purposes, you can order a Confirmation of Student Status letter.


I need to open a bank account                                                                                             

To get a letter to open a student bank account, you first need to be fully registered with the University (applicants are not eligible to order this document).

Students are only permitted to receive one bank letter, multiple orders will not be processed.  

Please make sure your home and term time addresses are up-to-date in NottinghamHub (including your room or flat number if appropriate) as banks will not accept letters with incomplete addresses.

Please access the Online Store to order your bank letter


I need a letter confirming I'm a graduate or have studied at the University of Nottingham

If your graduation ceremony has not yet taken place, you need a confirmation of student status letter if you are a current student.  

If no degree was awarded a letter can be provided to confirm your period of study.

Please follow the below links to order your letter via the Online Store depending on the year of your graduation:


I need a letter so I don't have to pay Council Tax                                                           

Please answer the questions below to find out what you need to do next.

1) Are you a full time student?

If you're not a full time student, you are not eligible for a Council Tax exemption, please contact your local authority for more information.

If you are a full time student, you may be eligible for an exemption, please move on to question 2.

2) Is the letter for you or are you requesting it on behalf of someone else?

If the letter is for someone else to claim a Council Tax discount or exemption (for example, a parent), you will need to order a Confirmation of Student Status letter, which can be requested here.

If the letter is for you, you may be eligible, please move on to question 3.

3) Do you live in University Halls of Residence?

If you do, you are automatically exempted from paying Council Tax and no further action is required.

If you do not live in Halls of Residence, but you do live within one of the seven Local Authority areas listed below, you do not need a letter, as the University will notify them on your behalf.  Please ensure you are fully registered and you have entered both your term-time and home address on the NottinghamHub in order to be included in the list for the correct Local Authority area.  

  • Broxtowe Borough Council
  • Derby City Council
  • Erewash Borough Council
  • Gedling Borough Council
  • North West Leicestershire District Council
  • Nottingham City Council
  • Rushcliffe Borough Council

If you do not live in University Halls of Residence, and you live outside of the Local Authority areas listed below, you may still be eligible to receive a Council Tax exemption, please answer question 4 below.

4) Are you a Postgraduate Research student?


If you have not yet entered your thesis pending period, please click here to order a council tax exemption letter.

If you are in your thesis pending period, in order to be eligible for a Council Tax exemption you must first be registered. If you don't register at the point of entering thesis pending you cannot retrospectively claim a Council Tax exemption.

Once you have submitted your first submission thesis for examination you are no longer eligible for a Council Tax exemption.


You are likely to be eligible for a Council Tax exemption, please order your letter here and one of our trained advisors will check and produce the document for you.


I need to order a Duplicate Degree Certificate and a Diploma Supplement

When you graduate from the University of Nottingham you receive a degree certificate and a diploma supplement. If you wish to purchase additional copies of these documents, please use the following links.


I would like to order a transcript of my marks                   

Prospective employers should use HEDD (Higher Education Degree Datacheck) to verify an award gained from the University of Nottingham.   

I am a current student

Did you know that you can print a transcript of your marks from Blue Castle for free?

If you need something more official then you can order a provisional transcript, and these cost £3 each.

Current students order a transcript

I am a former student that graduated from 2002 onwards

Graduate or Leavers transcripts can be requested if you graduated or have withdrawn from 2002 onwards.

These transcripts cost £10 each.

Order a 2002 onwards transcript

I am a former student that graduated in 2001 or earlier

If you graduated in 2001 or earlier we will not be able to produce a full transcript for you but you can request a letter to confirm your degree, classification and study dates. These letters cost £5 and we aim to have them produced within 5 working days.

Order a Confirmation of Degree Letter


I would like to order a Tuition Fee Receipt                                                                     

You may at some point require a receipt for a tuition fee payment which you made to the University.  

For the current academic year all you need to do is go to the Finance section on MyNottingham and a receipt will be available approximately 3 days after you made a tuition fee payment for you to print.

For any payments made for a previous academic year you can order a Tuition Fee receipt. This receipt will confirm details of your payment and will include your course title and academic year.

Please note that it can take up to 5 working days to produce and you can receive it by email, post or collection from one of our Student Services Centres.

To order your receipt, please use request order form below:


I need to make a Verification Request                        

Checking degree information for current and graduate students:

If you wish to verify degree information about one of our students please do so through Higher Education Degree Datacheck (HEDD).

Further information regarding HEDD and data collection is available here.

If your request is regarding a current student please be aware we require consent from the student to provide information to third parties.

If you have any questions or experience any problems with this process, please email us at 


Embassies are entitled to free credits for verifying student information through HEDD. Please email in order to obtain your free credit before using the system.


I want to travel overseas and I need to get a visa                                                                 

Depending on where in the world you wish to travel there may be different visa letter requirements. 

If you are travelling to one of the named countries below we are already aware of the embassy requirements so please click on the country name to order your letter.

Rest of the world 

It is likely that other embassies will have specific requirement. Please make sure you check what these are before ordering your letter.

Once you have confirmed the embassy requirements, please order your letter. You can type in any specific details in the comments box on the order form and our team of specialists will include that information when they produce your letter.

Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies Certificate

While you are a student here and if you have a Student visa, you may need to request a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies). Follow this link to request a CAS.

For further visa information please visit the Visa & Immigration support webpages