What you need to know
There are two main types of optional placement:
1) Those that take place outside of term-time
- For example a summer internship or voluntary position. Your School will have detailed information on any placement schemes run directly by the School.
- The Careers and Employability Service offers a range of optional placement opportunities for our students including the Nottingham Internship Scheme and the International Work Experience Grant.
- Postgraduate Placements Nottingham is specifically for Postgraduate Researchers. Each placement involves a discrete project at an external organisation for which the postgraduate researcher acts a specialist consultant. More information is available on the Researcher Academy placements webpage.
2) An optional Placement Year
- From 2017/18 students who are enrolled on to a degree programme without a compulsory placement year element will be able to self-source a placement at the end of their penultimate year of study and undertake a Placement Year.
- This placement can be aligned to your degree discipline or it can be in an unrelated field that is more related to an area of career interest. Taking this option would extend a three year course to four years (or a four year course to five years) and would result in 'with a Placement Year’ being added to your degree title on graduation.
- Please contact your School or the Careers and Employability Service for further information.
Other placement options
You can visit any Student Service Centre to get initial information on placements or take a look at;
To find out more about completing an optional placement year or other type of short-term optional placement please visit the Careers and Employability Service.
Your School will have detailed information on any placement schemes run directly by the School and the Careers and Employability Service offers a range of comprehensive optional placement opportunities for our students. For example the School of Cultures, Languages and Area Studies has a range of optional placement opportunities available.
Please be aware that study abroad, compulsory year abroad, optional placements/internships and integrated year in industry opportunities may change at any time for a number of reasons, including curriculum developments, changes to arrangements with partner universities or placement/industry hosts, travel restrictions or other circumstances outside of the university's control. Every effort will be made to update this information as quickly as possible should a change occur.